Now is a great time to form some new positive habits and spring resolutions to boost your health. Here’s 6 of our spring self-care habits we love doing every year…
1. Start a gentle and balanced (rather than extreme or overly restricted) detox to help eliminate stored wastes that resets your system. Begin the day with warm water and lemon juice as it stimulates enzymes and gently kick-starts your digestive processes, as well as alkalising the body.
2. Getting outdoors first thing in the morning on rising can help burn more fat, makes you more revitalised, engaged and energised for the day ahead with fewer distractions. Getting morning sunlight can also help you sleep better at night, especially if you have difficulties falling asleep or staying awake at the proper times (called a circadian rhythm disorder).
3. Dry skin brushing before showering doesn’t just exfoliate skin, it stimulates the lymphatic system, one of your body’s main detoxification channels (always brush upwards from your feet up your calves and from your hands up towards your shoulders, because that’s the path of the lymphatic flow)
4. Finish showering with cold water. The cold water sends many electrical impulses to your brain which ‘jolts’ your system to increase alertness, clarity, and energy levels. Endorphins (happiness hormones), are also released. This effect leads to feelings of well-being and optimism, as well as helping boost your circulation, metabolism and immune system.
5. Eating fresh spring foods to help shed the winter weight. Green leafy vegetables are coming into season and are perfect for helping our bodies recover from winters dense comfort foods. Filling up on natural nutrient dense wholefoods including plant based foods makes it easier for the body to break down and absorb.
6. Soaking in the bath with a few drops of your favourite essential oils offers mental and physical health benefits and is an ideal way to escape or unwind at the end of the day. Grab a good book, listen to a podcast or put on your favourite playlist and relax, or just switch everything off and enjoy a moment of silence – your body and brain needs it!